Friday, February 1, 2008

Bubinga Twins


The current production I refer to as the "Bubinga Twins". Bubinga is a hardwood which is native to Africa. I was given a single board, about 12 1/2 inches wide 5 feet long and 3/4 inch thick for Christmas last year by my wife Kay, my two daughters Sarah and Laura and their husbands Mark and Brandon.

View the luthier process. Click the link: http://picasaweb.google.com/kgilbertson27/BubingaTwinsProcess


Bending any hard wood is tricky especially when it has a lot of grain figure to it. This wood is very hard and dense. I got through it with no fractures. A wood this hard should produce an instrument with a lot of volume or projection and a relatively bright sound ( we will have to wait and see)

Hopefully these two guitars, patterned after a pre war Martin* OOO. * C.F. Martin guitar company Nazareth PA.